Exporting a PDF file with fill in fields

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
snowshed snowshed
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Exporting a PDF file with fill in fields

I've just posted a message about document protection.

After I've got the document protection the way I wish, how do I export
that document as a PDF and retain the ability to have the fill in fields?


--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6
Firefox 48.0.1
Thunderbird 45.3.0
"My brain is like lightning, a quick flash
      and it's gone!"


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
anne-ology anne-ology
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Exporting a PDF file with fill in fields

       Click on the menu options ... scroll to 'save as' (if you wish it
saved on your machine)
          or 'send as' ->then your e-program should open ...
         if it doesn't, then open your e-program & either send the document
or the link to the document (if uploaded to one of these 'clouds' for that
purpose) to whomever.



From: Ken Springer <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 7:13 PM
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Exporting a PDF file with fill in fields
To: [hidden email]


I've just posted a message about document protection.

After I've got the document protection the way I wish, how do I export that
document as a PDF and retain the ability to have the fill in fields?


--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6
Firefox 48.0.1
Thunderbird 45.3.0
"My brain is like lightning, a quick flash
     and it's gone!"

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Exporting a PDF file with fill in fields

In reply to this post by snowshed
Ken Springer wrote:
> I've just posted a message about document protection.
>
> After I've got the document protection the way I wish, how do I export
> that document as a PDF and retain the ability to have the fill in fields?

I think you need to add the fields as "Form Controls", e.g. Insert >
Form Control > Text Box. This might also avoid your other issue with
being able to protect the document but allow the fields to be modified.

Then, when you export the PDF, make sure the "Create PDF form" option is
selected on the "General" tab.

--
Mark.


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
snowshed snowshed
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Exporting a PDF file with fill in fields

In reply to this post by anne-ology
For now, I'm giving up on the PDF file.  Out of time.

The ODT file is usable, but not what is desired.

On 10/13/16 3:09 PM, anne-ology wrote:

>        Click on the menu options ... scroll to 'save as' (if you wish it
> saved on your machine)
>           or 'send as' ->then your e-program should open ...
>          if it doesn't, then open your e-program & either send the document
> or the link to the document (if uploaded to one of these 'clouds' for that
> purpose) to whomever.
>
>
>
> From: Ken Springer <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 7:13 PM
> Subject: [libreoffice-users] Exporting a PDF file with fill in fields
> To: [hidden email]
>
>
> I've just posted a message about document protection.
>
> After I've got the document protection the way I wish, how do I export that
> document as a PDF and retain the ability to have the fill in fields?
>
>


--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6
Firefox 49.0.1
Thunderbird 45.3.0
"My brain is like lightning, a quick flash
      and it's gone!"


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
snowshed snowshed
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Exporting a PDF file with fill in fields

In reply to this post by libreoffice-ml.mbourne
On 10/14/16 2:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Ken Springer wrote:
>> I've just posted a message about document protection.
>>
>> After I've got the document protection the way I wish, how do I export
>> that document as a PDF and retain the ability to have the fill in fields?
>
> I think you need to add the fields as "Form Controls", e.g. Insert >
> Form Control > Text Box. This might also avoid your other issue with
> being able to protect the document but allow the fields to be modified.

I went after the creation of the doc a little differently, and at least
have something I can use.  Which will suffice for now.  :-)  But it's
not what I want as an end product.

I think I'm going to end up with a more complex document, from the
creation standpoint, than I want. :(

It also seems to be awfully slow to load and save, giving me not
responding message.  I'm using Windows 7.

> Then, when you export the PDF, make sure the "Create PDF form" option is
> selected on the "General" tab.

That's the default, thankfully.  It didn't give



--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6
Firefox 49.0.1
Thunderbird 45.3.0
"My brain is like lightning, a quick flash
      and it's gone!"


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Doug McNutt Doug McNutt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Working with PDF docs that have data fields

Previous usage does not seem helpful but ..

Then, when you export the PDF, make sure the "Create PDF form" option is
selected on the "General" tab. 10/17/2016 12:44 PM, Ken Springer

What I want to do is mess with the "data" file in the way Adobe does it.
It's US tax forms and in the past they could be filled out by
calculating the numbers on a spreadsheet and then modifying the little
data file that holds blanks, or previously mucked with such as entering
"line23", into the value area,

It appears that Adobe has changed things yet again.

So I find that LibreOffice Writer can open the downloaded PDF file and
allow changes to be entered but there is no way to read the little data
file and install the pre-calculated numbers and names.

Previous text editors working with Ubuntu Linux have worked but they
seem to be gone. Older PDF editors have had a menu option to save and
re-enter the tiny "data file" which is just data and name pairs in lines
of text.

I'd like to have someone show me the way to make that "Create PDF form"
change over to "Here is my PDF form";  please use it.

Ideas??


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Loading...