Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
martin f krafft martin f krafft
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

Hello,

I am working on a complex document with plenty of sections and
auto-numbered paragraphs. They're using a custom paragraph style
with a custom numbering style for that. Don't ask me why…

I now have two challenges:

  a. I'd like to include the outline numbering in the paragraph
     numbers, i.e. instead of


      3. Some Chapter

      1. First
      2. Second


     I want/need:


       3. Some Chapter

       3.1. First
       3.2. Second


     Can Libreoffice automate this for me?

  b. At every outline-relevant heading, the numbering should be
     reset. Right now it does not, but instead I get this:


      […]
       1. First
       2. Second

       C. A new chapter

       3. First
       4. Second


      until I right-click the "3." and select "restart numbering"
      from the context-menu, which I found to be rather brittle

      Can I somehow restart paragraph numbers at every section
      start?

Thanks for any insights!

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/
 
the only real advantage to punk music is
that nobody can whistle it.
 
spamtraps: [hidden email]

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi Martin,

>
> I now have two challenges:
>
> a. I'd like to include the outline numbering in the paragraph
> numbers, i.e. instead of
>
>
> 3. Some Chapter
>
> 1. First 2. Second
>
>
> I want/need:
>
>
> 3. Some Chapter
>
> 3.1. First 3.2. Second
>
I have tried this one:
Opened a new document.
Written down
Header 1
Header 2a
Header 2b

And set the default styles to this (Header 1, Header 2 - could be it
is alled by another name, but have tried this in German).
Changed all to "Numbering" (F12)
and got this:

1 Header 1
1.1 Header 2a
1.2 Header 2b

You could change all this with Tools > Chapternumbering don't know the
right name ...)

>
> b. At every outline-relevant heading, the numbering should be
> reset. Right now it does not, but instead I get this:
>
>
> […] 1. First 2. Second
>
> C. A new chapter
>
> 3. First 4. Second
>
>
Same here:

This is the normal behavior of LO-Writer:

1 Header 1
1.1 Header 2a
1.2 Header 2b
2 Header 2
2.1 Header 2a
2.2 Header 2b

You could change this at Tools > Chapternumbering.

Regards

Robert
- --
Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2
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=+q2g
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
martin f krafft martin f krafft
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

also sprach Robert Großkopf <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 20:05 +1300]:

> > 3. Some Chapter
> >
> > 3.1. First 3.2. Second
> >
> I have tried this one:
> Opened a new document.
> Written down
> Header 1
> Header 2a
> Header 2b

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I know I can display "sublevels" for headers (they are actually
superlevels…), but what I am trying to do is to include the chapter
number in paragraph numbering. I am sorry if this was not clear:

  5. The current chapter
  ----------------------

  5.1.  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
        Duis finibus posuere mauris, sit amet viverra turpis accumsan et.
        Sed vitae commodo dui. Donec id est tristique, finibus orci sit.

  5.2.  Nulla tincidunt leo in risus sagittis, vel condimentum sem
        interdum. Nunc et efficitur metus. Quisque a suscipit justo, at
        semper magna. Proin neque elit, sodales quis nibh ut, convallis

  6. The next chapter
  -------------------

  6.1  sed nulla non rutrum. Donec dapibus pellentesque enim at
       feugiat. Mauris gravida maximus nulla, sed dapibus quam. Cras
       non varius libero. Etiam id nisi urna. Maecenas tincidunt
       lacus at purus dignissim, ut consequat enim elementum.

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/
 
apt-get source --compile gentoo
 
spamtraps: [hidden email]

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

Hi Martin,

martin f krafft schrieb:

> also sprach Robert Großkopf <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 20:05 +1300]:
>>> 3. Some Chapter
>>>
>>> 3.1. First 3.2. Second
>>>
>> I have tried this one:
>> Opened a new document.
>> Written down
>> Header 1
>> Header 2a
>> Header 2b
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond!
>
> I know I can display "sublevels" for headers (they are actually
> superlevels…), but what I am trying to do is to include the chapter
> number in paragraph numbering. I am sorry if this was not clear:
>
>   5. The current chapter
>   ----------------------
>
>   5.1.  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
>         Duis finibus posuere mauris, sit amet viverra turpis accumsan et.
>         Sed vitae commodo dui. Donec id est tristique, finibus orci sit.
>
>   5.2.  Nulla tincidunt leo in risus sagittis, vel condimentum sem
>         interdum. Nunc et efficitur metus. Quisque a suscipit justo, at
>         semper magna. Proin neque elit, sodales quis nibh ut, convallis
>
>   6. The next chapter
>   -------------------
>
>   6.1  sed nulla non rutrum. Donec dapibus pellentesque enim at
>        feugiat. Mauris gravida maximus nulla, sed dapibus quam. Cras
>        non varius libero. Etiam id nisi urna. Maecenas tincidunt
>        lacus at purus dignissim, ut consequat enim elementum.
>

That is the field "Show Sublevels" on tab "Numbering" in the "Outline
Numbering" dialog. Click on "2" in the list "Level". Then the field is
enabled and you can choose "2".

If a heading does not follow the numbering, than it might be, that you
have got a mix of list numbering and outline numbering.

It might be that the document does not use the default outline numbering
at all. Please have a look at the style of the paragraph (right click
'Edit style') and therein the tab "Outline & Numbering". And same for
the paragraph itself (right click 'Paragraph') If the field "Outline" is
enabled, or "Numbering" does not have "Outline Numbering", then it does
not use the default outline numbering and all settings are more
complicate. In such case you should tell us the settings you see there.

Kind regards
Regina



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
martin f krafft martin f krafft
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

also sprach Regina Henschel <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 23:29 +1300]:

> >   6. The next chapter
> >   -------------------
> >
> >   6.1  sed nulla non rutrum. Donec dapibus pellentesque enim at
> >        feugiat. Mauris gravida maximus nulla, sed dapibus quam. Cras
> >        non varius libero. Etiam id nisi urna. Maecenas tincidunt
> >        lacus at purus dignissim, ut consequat enim elementum.
> >
>
> That is the field "Show Sublevels" on tab "Numbering" in the "Outline
> Numbering" dialog. Click on "2" in the list "Level". Then the field is
> enabled and you can choose "2".

Dear Regina,

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, I must have been unclear yet
again. I am aware of "sublevels" and I don't want to change anything
in outline numbering. All of my challenges revolve around paragraph
numbering (using custom enumeration styles), where I want to:

  - include the current chapter number in the paragraph number;

  - have the paragraph number reset 1 every time a new chapter
    opens.

Take care,

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/
 
"work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do.
 play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."
                                                       -- mark twain
 
spamtraps: [hidden email]

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

Hallo Martin,

martin f krafft schrieb:

> also sprach Regina Henschel <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 23:29 +1300]:
>>>   6. The next chapter
>>>   -------------------
>>>
>>>   6.1  sed nulla non rutrum. Donec dapibus pellentesque enim at
>>>        feugiat. Mauris gravida maximus nulla, sed dapibus quam. Cras
>>>        non varius libero. Etiam id nisi urna. Maecenas tincidunt
>>>        lacus at purus dignissim, ut consequat enim elementum.
>>>
>>
>> That is the field "Show Sublevels" on tab "Numbering" in the "Outline
>> Numbering" dialog. Click on "2" in the list "Level". Then the field is
>> enabled and you can choose "2".
>
> Dear Regina,
>
> Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, I must have been unclear yet
> again. I am aware of "sublevels" and I don't want to change anything
> in outline numbering. All of my challenges revolve around paragraph
> numbering (using custom enumeration styles), where I want to:
>
>   - include the current chapter number in the paragraph number;
>
>   - have the paragraph number reset 1 every time a new chapter
>     opens.
>
> Take care,
>

That is only possible, if you choose this numbering style for outline
numbering for the header too. That is possible, but it implies, that you
need to assign outline levels and associated paragraph styles manually.

The fields "Outline Level" and "Numbering" in the paragraph style will
be enabled, when you have removed this style from the default outline
numbering in Tools > Outline Numbering.


Kind regards
Regina


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Philip Jackson Philip Jackson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

In reply to this post by martin f krafft
On 27/02/17 01:32, martin f krafft wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a complex document with plenty of sections and
> auto-numbered paragraphs. They're using a custom paragraph style
> with a custom numbering style for that. Don't ask me why…
>
....
>
>      I want/need:
>
>
>        3. Some Chapter
>
>        3.1. First
>        3.2. Second
>
Here is an example of what I get, which I think corresponds with what
you want :

1 Chapter the first

        1.1 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
        1.2 consectetur adipiscing elit.
        1.3 Vestibulum consequat mi

2 Chapter the second

        2.1 Proin luctus orci ac neque venenatis.
        2.2 Lorem ipsum dolor
        2.3 quis commodo dolor posuere.

In this case, Chapter number heading style is "Heading 1" and the text
paragraph style is "Text Body"

Using Tools > Outline numbering on the 'numbering' tab, select level 1
and set paragraph style to 'Heading 1'
then, select level 2 and set paragraph style to 'Text Body' and 'show
sublevels' = 2.

The amount of paragraph inset is another matter set separately.

hth
--
Philip


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
martin f krafft martin f krafft
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Interplay between outline and paragraph numbering

also sprach Philip Jackson <[hidden email]> [2017-02-28 05:23 +1300]:
> Using Tools > Outline numbering on the 'numbering' tab, select
> level 1 and set paragraph style to 'Heading 1' then, select level
> 2 and set paragraph style to 'Text Body' and 'show sublevels' = 2.

Ah, interesting, this opens up new perspectives, and it even makes
sense to treat paragraphs as outline elements.

The immediate problem I have of course is with sub-headings, i.e. if
paragraphs are outline level 2, then I can only have headings at
level 1.

If, however, I need two levels of headings, then paragraphs must be
on level 3, which then means that I always have to have level
2 headers, or else paragraphs get numbered e.g.

    1. My heading
    =============

    1.1. my subheading
    -------------------

    1.1.1 This is the first paragraph

    2. My second heading without subheading
    =======================================

    2.1.1 This is the first paragraph, which is a bit confusing
          because there's an extra 1. At least it's not a 0.

I know one is best advised not to mix outline aith automatic
numbering, but it'd still be rather useful, I find, to have the
ability to prepend "context" to numbering styles.

If I made a feature request about this, do you see any chance of
someone taking it on?

Thanks for all your help!

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/
 
one has to multiply thoughts to the point
where there aren't enough policemen to control them.
                                             -- stanislaw jerzey lec
 
spamtraps: [hidden email]

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Loading...