Introductions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
James Walker James Walker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Introductions

Morning,

Just want to introduce myself to all those on the list

My name is James Walker, I have been involved with the Community for 8+
years in some capacity.  Currently serving as a MarCon for the Central part
of the US. I currently reside in Terre Haute, IN

My real job is not in marketing.  I am a CAD guy by trade, having done
everything from Structural Steel Detailing, to grandstands, handrail, and
now I design machinery for a small company in Indiana that does some rather
impressive machines.  I have also worked in Customer Service, as well as
served in the Military for a few years.

I am looking forward to working with all of you.

Please introduce yourselves so the rest of you us can get to know you a
little better.

James Walker

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

  Le 2010-10-18 08:18, James Walker a écrit :

> Morning,
>
> Just want to introduce myself to all those on the list
>
> My name is James Walker, I have been involved with the Community for 8+
> years in some capacity.  Currently serving as a MarCon for the Central part
> of the US. I currently reside in Terre Haute, IN
>
> My real job is not in marketing.  I am a CAD guy by trade, having done
> everything from Structural Steel Detailing, to grandstands, handrail, and
> now I design machinery for a small company in Indiana that does some rather
> impressive machines.  I have also worked in Customer Service, as well as
> served in the Military for a few years.
>
> I am looking forward to working with all of you.
>
> Please introduce yourselves so the rest of you us can get to know you a
> little better.
>
> James Walker
>
Hi everyone:

My name is Marc Paré, I will be at the helm of the Canadian Marketing
Team until we can organize and formalize our group a little more. I
currently reside in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

I have been using LibO since the very first days of StarOffice. I have
only been involved with the Community as a lurker on the forums. I am
usually involved in software communities such as HotPotatoes, Linux
(Mandriva/Mageia), Wine (for HotPotatoes) and Zikula (CMS). I am also on
the Mageia marketing team and enjoying it quite a bit.

I am an elementary school teacher and teach FSL (French Second Language)
in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I also participate in numerous committees
of which Software Acquisition Committee, FSL committees, as well as run
Lego Robotics Clubs, Computer Graphics Club (Gimp), Computer
Reconstruction Club, Logo programming (French/English) -- although I had
to curtail this last due to the lack of computer resources at my school.
I participate at many school musical events as the music coordinator for
our school. I am also a 14th-19th century keyboard repairman and also
maintain a roster of approx. 50 domain names along with some website
construction/maintenance duties, I publish an an online magazine:
http://www.EarlyMusicNews.org and am re-organizing another project-site
of mine: http://www.FrenchAsASecondLanguage.org (heavy rebuilding at the
moment due to hackers). I usually only sleep 4hours/day and view little
TV which explains my seemingly busy schedule.

I have passed the point of mid-life crisis and have not as yet bought my
red corvette or my Harley. I am presently off work due to a crushed
spine injury and have had 2 spinal interventions (surgery) and have had
to re-learn how to walk twice in the last 7 months. Things are coming
along very well.

I am quite happy to work on the LibO project and have always wanted to
participate in a more meaningful way. My main interests are in the
marketing of LibO in Canada as well as the marketing of LibO as a solid
product in the educational field at all levels (Kindergartern-High
School; Academia) and on the international stage.

I look forward to working with all of you.

Marc Paré
Waterloo ON, Canada
Canadian Marketing Team Member

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions


On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:07 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

> Le 2010-10-18 08:18, James Walker a écrit :
>> Morning,
>>
>> Just want to introduce myself to all those on the list
>>
>> My name is James Walker, I have been involved with the Community for 8+
>> years in some capacity.  Currently serving as a MarCon for the Central part
>> of the US. I currently reside in Terre Haute, IN
>>
>> My real job is not in marketing.  I am a CAD guy by trade, having done
>> everything from Structural Steel Detailing, to grandstands, handrail, and
>> now I design machinery for a small company in Indiana that does some rather
>> impressive machines.  I have also worked in Customer Service, as well as
>> served in the Military for a few years.
>>
>> I am looking forward to working with all of you.
>>
>> Please introduce yourselves so the rest of you us can get to know you a
>> little better.
>>
>> James Walker
>>
> Hi everyone:
>
> My name is Marc Paré, I will be at the helm of the Canadian Marketing Team until we can organize and formalize our group a little more. I currently reside in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
>
> I have been using LibO since the very first days of StarOffice. I have only been involved with the Community as a lurker on the forums. I am usually involved in software communities such as HotPotatoes, Linux (Mandriva/Mageia), Wine (for HotPotatoes) and Zikula (CMS). I am also on the Mageia marketing team and enjoying it quite a bit.
>
> I am an elementary school teacher and teach FSL (French Second Language) in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I also participate in numerous committees of which Software Acquisition Committee, FSL committees, as well as run Lego Robotics Clubs, Computer Graphics Club (Gimp), Computer Reconstruction Club, Logo programming (French/English) -- although I had to curtail this last due to the lack of computer resources at my school. I participate at many school musical events as the music coordinator for our school. I am also a 14th-19th century keyboard repairman and also maintain a roster of approx. 50 domain names along with some website construction/maintenance duties, I publish an an online magazine: http://www.EarlyMusicNews.org and am re-organizing another project-site of mine: http://www.FrenchAsASecondLanguage.org (heavy rebuilding at the moment due to hackers). I usually only sleep 4hours/day and view little TV which explains my seemingly busy schedule.
>
> I have passed the point of mid-life crisis and have not as yet bought my red corvette or my Harley. I am presently off work due to a crushed spine injury and have had 2 spinal interventions (surgery) and have had to re-learn how to walk twice in the last 7 months. Things are coming along very well.
>
> I am quite happy to work on the LibO project and have always wanted to participate in a more meaningful way. My main interests are in the marketing of LibO in Canada as well as the marketing of LibO as a solid product in the educational field at all levels (Kindergartern-High School; Academia) and on the international stage.
>
> I look forward to working with all of you.
>
> Marc Paré

Hello all,

I've been a part of the OOo and now LibO communities for at nearly 10 years now. I remember watching the purchase and open sourcing of StarOffice by Sun back in 2000, and hoping I could get it on my Mac soon. That took a while, but I'm happy it happened!

I live in New York City, but was in LA and Boston before that.

I wrote "The Tiny Guide to OpenOffice.org," which was published in 2004, and have worked on promoting, documenting and other tasks in my time with the project. I raised money from volunteers and used it to buy a full page ad on the back of the free Metro newspaper in NYC for the release of OpenOffice.org 2.0.

I work for a web development firm as a project manager, and have experience with many CMSs and the web design and development process. I've been active lately on the website discussions where I suggested platforms for our wiki (Foswiki, though it was not selected) and main website (Drupal). Those discussions have been challenging. :)

I'm interested in marketing/promotion/evangelizing LibO in the USA and Canada and in education, because I think these are areas where it could be quickly adopted to the benefit of many, many people. As a former student myself, I could not have spared even $100 to buy an office software package, and I want people in that situation today to know they do not have to.

Looking forward to working with you all! I have a list of promotional ideas I'd like to share soon. I think we should pick one or two specific projects and make them happen!

-Ben


Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

  Le 2010-10-19 16:17, Benjamin Horst a écrit :

> On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:07 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>
>> Le 2010-10-18 08:18, James Walker a écrit :
>>> Morning,
>>>
>>> Just want to introduce myself to all those on the list
>>>
>>> My name is James Walker, I have been involved with the Community for 8+
>>> years in some capacity.  Currently serving as a MarCon for the Central part
>>> of the US. I currently reside in Terre Haute, IN
>>>
>>> My real job is not in marketing.  I am a CAD guy by trade, having done
>>> everything from Structural Steel Detailing, to grandstands, handrail, and
>>> now I design machinery for a small company in Indiana that does some rather
>>> impressive machines.  I have also worked in Customer Service, as well as
>>> served in the Military for a few years.
>>>
>>> I am looking forward to working with all of you.
>>>
>>> Please introduce yourselves so the rest of you us can get to know you a
>>> little better.
>>>
>>> James Walker
>>>
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> My name is Marc Paré, I will be at the helm of the Canadian Marketing Team until we can organize and formalize our group a little more. I currently reside in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
>>
>> I have been using LibO since the very first days of StarOffice. I have only been involved with the Community as a lurker on the forums. I am usually involved in software communities such as HotPotatoes, Linux (Mandriva/Mageia), Wine (for HotPotatoes) and Zikula (CMS). I am also on the Mageia marketing team and enjoying it quite a bit.
>>
>> I am an elementary school teacher and teach FSL (French Second Language) in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I also participate in numerous committees of which Software Acquisition Committee, FSL committees, as well as run Lego Robotics Clubs, Computer Graphics Club (Gimp), Computer Reconstruction Club, Logo programming (French/English) -- although I had to curtail this last due to the lack of computer resources at my school. I participate at many school musical events as the music coordinator for our school. I am also a 14th-19th century keyboard repairman and also maintain a roster of approx. 50 domain names along with some website construction/maintenance duties, I publish an an online magazine: http://www.EarlyMusicNews.org and am re-organizing another project-site of mine: http://www.FrenchAsASecondLanguage.org (heavy rebuilding at the moment due to hackers). I usually only sleep 4hours/day and view little TV which explains my seemingly busy schedule.
>>
>> I have passed the point of mid-life crisis and have not as yet bought my red corvette or my Harley. I am presently off work due to a crushed spine injury and have had 2 spinal interventions (surgery) and have had to re-learn how to walk twice in the last 7 months. Things are coming along very well.
>>
>> I am quite happy to work on the LibO project and have always wanted to participate in a more meaningful way. My main interests are in the marketing of LibO in Canada as well as the marketing of LibO as a solid product in the educational field at all levels (Kindergartern-High School; Academia) and on the international stage.
>>
>> I look forward to working with all of you.
>>
>> Marc Paré
> Hello all,
>
> I've been a part of the OOo and now LibO communities for at nearly 10 years now. I remember watching the purchase and open sourcing of StarOffice by Sun back in 2000, and hoping I could get it on my Mac soon. That took a while, but I'm happy it happened!
>
> I live in New York City, but was in LA and Boston before that.
>
> I wrote "The Tiny Guide to OpenOffice.org," which was published in 2004, and have worked on promoting, documenting and other tasks in my time with the project. I raised money from volunteers and used it to buy a full page ad on the back of the free Metro newspaper in NYC for the release of OpenOffice.org 2.0.
>
> I work for a web development firm as a project manager, and have experience with many CMSs and the web design and development process. I've been active lately on the website discussions where I suggested platforms for our wiki (Foswiki, though it was not selected) and main website (Drupal). Those discussions have been challenging. :)
>
> I'm interested in marketing/promotion/evangelizing LibO in the USA and Canada and in education, because I think these are areas where it could be quickly adopted to the benefit of many, many people. As a former student myself, I could not have spared even $100 to buy an office software package, and I want people in that situation today to know they do not have to.
>
> Looking forward to working with you all! I have a list of promotional ideas I'd like to share soon. I think we should pick one or two specific projects and make them happen!
>
> -Ben
>
>
> Benjamin Horst
> [hidden email]
> 646-464-2314 (Eastern)
> www.solidoffice.com
>
>
Welcome Benjamin. Nice to have you on-board from the Canadian team.

Cheers

Marc
Canadian Marketing Team Member

--
Marc Paré
http://www.parEntreprise.com



--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

jonathon-2 jonathon-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

In reply to this post by James Walker
On 10/18/2010 12:18 PM, James Walker wrote:

> Please introduce yourselves so the rest of you us can get to know you a little better.

I'm jonathon.  I hate writing introductions.

Somewhere on the Internet I have a site that has a 16 777 216
colour palette for OOo. I thought it was
http://code.google.com/p/things4ooo/ but since that site is empty, I
have no idea where I put that file. Or the python scripts to generate
more reasonably sized colour palettes.

I also thought I had thrown the most recent incarnation of _OOo in a
Multi-Lingual Environment_ on that site (
http://code.google.com/p/things4ooo/).  Since it isn't there, I have no
idea where I put it.:(

jonathon
--
No human will see non-list, non-bulk, non-junk email sent to this address.
It all gets forwarded to /dev/null


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

James Walker James Walker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

Jonathon, where are you located at.  I would like to get some idea of the
areas that we have covered.




On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:23 AM, jonathon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/18/2010 12:18 PM, James Walker wrote:
>
> > Please introduce yourselves so the rest of you us can get to know you a
> little better.
>
> I'm jonathon.  I hate writing introductions.
>
> Somewhere on the Internet I have a site that has a 16 777 216
> colour palette for OOo. I thought it was
> http://code.google.com/p/things4ooo/ but since that site is empty, I
> have no idea where I put that file. Or the python scripts to generate
> more reasonably sized colour palettes.
>
> I also thought I had thrown the most recent incarnation of _OOo in a
> Multi-Lingual Environment_ on that site (
> http://code.google.com/p/things4ooo/).  Since it isn't there, I have no
> idea where I put it.:(
>
> jonathon
> --
> No human will see non-list, non-bulk, non-junk email sent to this address.
> It all gets forwarded to /dev/null
>
>
> --
> E-mail to [hidden email]<marketing%[hidden email]>for instructions on how to unsubscribe
> List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

James Walker James Walker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

In reply to this post by Benjamin Horst
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Benjamin Horst <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've been a part of the OOo and now LibO communities for at nearly 10 years
> now. I remember watching the purchase and open sourcing of StarOffice by Sun
> back in 2000, and hoping I could get it on my Mac soon. That took a while,
> but I'm happy it happened!
>
> I live in New York City, but was in LA and Boston before that.
>
> I wrote "The Tiny Guide to OpenOffice.org," which was published in 2004,
> and have worked on promoting, documenting and other tasks in my time with
> the project. I raised money from volunteers and used it to buy a full page
> ad on the back of the free Metro newspaper in NYC for the release of
> OpenOffice.org 2.0.
>
> I work for a web development firm as a project manager, and have experience
> with many CMSs and the web design and development process. I've been active
> lately on the website discussions where I suggested platforms for our wiki
> (Foswiki, though it was not selected) and main website (Drupal). Those
> discussions have been challenging. :)
>
> I'm interested in marketing/promotion/evangelizing LibO in the USA and
> Canada and in education, because I think these are areas where it could be
> quickly adopted to the benefit of many, many people. As a former student
> myself, I could not have spared even $100 to buy an office software package,
> and I want people in that situation today to know they do not have to.
>
> Looking forward to working with you all! I have a list of promotional ideas
> I'd like to share soon. I think we should pick one or two specific projects
> and make them happen!
>
> -Ben
>
>
> Benjamin Horst
> [hidden email]
> 646-464-2314 (Eastern)
> www.solidoffice.com
>
>
>
>
Ben,

I would be very interested in your ideas, I hope that you will share them
soon, I would love to get started sooner, rather than later.

James

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

  Le 2010-10-20 08:43, James Walker a écrit :
> Ben,
>
> I would be very interested in your ideas, I hope that you will share them
> soon, I would love to get started sooner, rather than later.
>
> James
Hi Ben:

I have started 2 threads on the marketing list

[libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Education (JK-High School and NOT    
post grad. university/college)
[libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia

I am really interested in improving the LibO suite pagackaging so that
it better suits these 2 areas of education. IMHO, I hope to work with
interested dev. (once they identify themselves as interested) so that
plugins could be either moded or developed to accomplish this.

After this, we could devise a more concentrated marketing strategy to
gain a larger foothold in the educational field. I have had 18 years of
experience in this field in Ontario, Canada and have worked on
committees at the provincial and local board levels as well as
administrative levels as a school board specialist. I may be able to
help with market strategies as well as expected results from approaching
federal, provincial and local board levels, both at the public, catholic
(we have this division in Canada), private levels. I also have contacts
and could probably arrange for group testing at the teacher as well as  
student levels.

As for Academia, I have had over 30 years of ties both at the academic
(I have taught at some summer workshops approx. 15-20 years ago at
University level) and technical level (I am also a piano tuner by trade
and period keyboard restoring specialist). I can probably convince an
extremely small group for testing purposes, but I think we may have
already enough academics on the list who are prepared to help in this way.

Marc

--
Marc Paré
http://www.parEntreprise.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

James Walker James Walker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

You know, my biggest thought is that if we want to get LibO into a more
widespread acceptance then we have to get into the Schools.

You tend to stick with what you learn first and that should be our number 1
goal.

James




On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Le 2010-10-20 08:43, James Walker a écrit :
>
> Ben,
>>
>> I would be very interested in your ideas, I hope that you will share them
>> soon, I would love to get started sooner, rather than later.
>>
>> James
>>
> Hi Ben:
>
> I have started 2 threads on the marketing list
>
> [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Education (JK-High School and NOT    post
> grad. university/college)
> [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia
>
> I am really interested in improving the LibO suite pagackaging so that it
> better suits these 2 areas of education. IMHO, I hope to work with
> interested dev. (once they identify themselves as interested) so that
> plugins could be either moded or developed to accomplish this.
>
> After this, we could devise a more concentrated marketing strategy to gain
> a larger foothold in the educational field. I have had 18 years of
> experience in this field in Ontario, Canada and have worked on committees at
> the provincial and local board levels as well as administrative levels as a
> school board specialist. I may be able to help with market strategies as
> well as expected results from approaching federal, provincial and local
> board levels, both at the public, catholic (we have this division in
> Canada), private levels. I also have contacts and could probably arrange for
> group testing at the teacher as well as  student levels.
>
> As for Academia, I have had over 30 years of ties both at the academic (I
> have taught at some summer workshops approx. 15-20 years ago at University
> level) and technical level (I am also a piano tuner by trade and period
> keyboard restoring specialist). I can probably convince an extremely small
> group for testing purposes, but I think we may have already enough academics
> on the list who are prepared to help in this way.
>
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Paré
> http://www.parEntreprise.com <http://www.parentreprise.com/>
>
>
>
> --
> E-mail to [hidden email]<marketing%[hidden email]>for instructions on how to unsubscribe
> List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

Le 2010-10-20 12:40, James Walker a écrit :
> You know, my biggest thought is that if we want to get LibO into a more
> widespread acceptance then we have to get into the Schools.
>
> You tend to stick with what you learn first and that should be our number 1
> goal.
>
> James
(OT) I agree totally. I am also a piano tuner by trade and have worked
at many universities. One of the marketing techniques that piano firms
use it selling at deep discount to school systems and universities. The
students get used to the brand and they tend to stick to the brand once
they purchase a personal piano. By some respects, Steinway had done the
same thing in the US and it has helped to keep the Steinway brand alive
and popular in many regions of the US. Yamaha has used the same
technique  and has penetrated the Canadian educational system quite
deeply (not too sure about US ).

The same could be said for Apple and its marketing techniques in both US
and Canadian educational systems.

If one of our marketing techniques could concentrate on the educational
system, then we could probably have the same kind of success. However,
the biggest issue, in my experience, is that of IT and user level
support. We would have to make sure that this is covered.

I guess this should be discussed in the LibO in Education thread. I'll
copy this to that thread.

Marc

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

In reply to this post by marcpare4
Marc and all,

On Oct 20, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
> I have started 2 threads on the marketing list
>
> [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Education (JK-High School and NOT    post grad. university/college)
> [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia
>
> I am really interested in improving the LibO suite pagackaging so that it better suits these 2 areas of education. IMHO, I hope to work with interested dev. (once they identify themselves as interested) so that plugins could be either moded or developed to accomplish this.
>
> After this, we could devise a more concentrated marketing strategy to gain a larger foothold in the educational field. I have had 18 years of experience in this field in Ontario, Canada and have worked on committees at the provincial and local board levels as well as administrative levels as a school board specialist. I may be able to help with market strategies as well as expected results from approaching federal, provincial and local board levels, both at the public, catholic (we have this division in Canada), private levels. I also have contacts and could probably arrange for group testing at the teacher as well as  student levels.

I strongly agree that education is a highly strategic target for LibO. Your connections and experiences will be really helpful for us to devise a tactical plan. I would like to work with the NYC school system to promote LibO myself, though I don't have any connections there. Perhaps a well-designed plan could help me get started...

> As for Academia, I have had over 30 years of ties both at the academic (I have taught at some summer workshops approx. 15-20 years ago at University level) and technical level (I am also a piano tuner by trade and period keyboard restoring specialist). I can probably convince an extremely small group for testing purposes, but I think we may have already enough academics on the list who are prepared to help in this way.

I see a tangible reason to bring additional people onboard as testers--it may help them develop a sense of "ownership" in some small way, that could gradually draw them in to becoming community members within the project, and our group would grow as a result. :)

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

Le 2010-10-22 19:00, Benjamin Horst a écrit :
>
> I strongly agree that education is a highly strategic target for LibO. Your connections and experiences will be really helpful for us to devise a tactical plan. I would like to work with the NYC school system to promote LibO myself, though I don't have any connections there. Perhaps a well-designed plan could help me get started...
>

I think I read somewhere that the was a member from NYC on our
membership. Not sure.
>> As for Academia, I have had over 30 years of ties both at the academic (I have taught at some summer workshops approx. 15-20 years ago at University level) and technical level (I am also a piano tuner by trade and period keyboard restoring specialist). I can probably convince an extremely small group for testing purposes, but I think we may have already enough academics on the list who are prepared to help in this way.
> I see a tangible reason to bring additional people onboard as testers--it may help them develop a sense of "ownership" in some small way, that could gradually draw them in to becoming community members within the project, and our group would grow as a result. :)
>

I think some of the members on the LibO Academia list are interested and
I could probably convince some at the post-graduate level here in
Waterloo to test-try any improvements made in this way. The interest so
far lies in bibliographic extensions, an admittedly painstaking activity
when done by hand, but the Zetero extension and the up-and-coming
Mendeley solution look promising. Albeit a little complicated at setting
up. I am still looking into both of these. I may have to write a thesis
to test these! LOL.

Marc

--
Marc Paré
http://www.parEntreprise.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions


On Oct 22, 2010, at 7:58 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

> Le 2010-10-22 19:00, Benjamin Horst a écrit :
>>
>> I strongly agree that education is a highly strategic target for LibO. Your connections and experiences will be really helpful for us to devise a tactical plan. I would like to work with the NYC school system to promote LibO myself, though I don't have any connections there. Perhaps a well-designed plan could help me get started...
>>
>
> I think I read somewhere that the was a member from NYC on our membership. Not sure.

I think it's just me! (I live in Queens and work in Manhattan.) But if anyone else is located in NYC, let me know--we could arrange in-person meetups for hyperlocal marketing projects.

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

drewjensen drewjensen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 15:27 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2010, at 7:58 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>
> > Le 2010-10-22 19:00, Benjamin Horst a écrit :
> >>
> >> I strongly agree that education is a highly strategic target for LibO. Your connections and experiences will be really helpful for us to devise a tactical plan. I would like to work with the NYC school system to promote LibO myself, though I don't have any connections there. Perhaps a well-designed plan could help me get started...
> >>
> >
> > I think I read somewhere that the was a member from NYC on our membership. Not sure.
>
> I think it's just me! (I live in Queens and work in Manhattan.) But if anyone else is located in NYC, let me know--we could arrange in-person meetups for hyperlocal marketing projects.

Hi Ben

Maybe you could try using the new LibreOffice Vols micro-blog site here.

http://libreofficevols.status.net/

You can register an account, use an existing Twitter Account or an
existing OpenID account.

Feel free to connect and open a NYC Meetup group..

Just an idea

Drew




--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Document Foundation Mail Archives
marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

Le 2010-10-24 15:56, Drew Jensen a écrit :

> On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 15:27 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
>> On Oct 22, 2010, at 7:58 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>>
>>> Le 2010-10-22 19:00, Benjamin Horst a écrit :
>>>> I strongly agree that education is a highly strategic target for LibO. Your connections and experiences will be really helpful for us to devise a tactical plan. I would like to work with the NYC school system to promote LibO myself, though I don't have any connections there. Perhaps a well-designed plan could help me get started...
>>>>
>>> I think I read somewhere that the was a member from NYC on our membership. Not sure.
>> I think it's just me! (I live in Queens and work in Manhattan.) But if anyone else is located in NYC, let me know--we could arrange in-person meetups for hyperlocal marketing projects.
> Hi Ben
>
> Maybe you could try using the new LibreOffice Vols micro-blog site here.
>
> http://libreofficevols.status.net/
>
> You can register an account, use an existing Twitter Account or an
> existing OpenID account.
>
> Feel free to connect and open a NYC Meetup group..
>
> Just an idea
>
> Drew
Please make sure that the meeting is logged. We need these to be more
efficient. That's if you are meeting to organise anything, we don't
really need to see chatter. You never know, some of us could drop in to
help you out if we know plans in certain districts. If we are organised
right from the start we we get better results.

There should be a set hierarchy:

International Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
National Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
State / Provincial Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
Regional (these encompass more than one city) Marketing meetings /
projects -- logged
City Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
City district Marketing meetings / projects -- logged

All of these levels should have a agreed-upon (voted in if necessary)
"Lead Marketing member" in charge of the group who is in charge of
logging and reporting back to the level (only 1 level) up above their
level. The upper level "Lead member" is then responsible to examine,
assess and report eventually back to her/his Marketing upper level
(maybe once monthly or more if the lower project is important enough to
merit direct reporting).  * This could easily be done through a "LibO
Marketing Blog", but should still be reported back officially to the
upper levels if there is any confidential information to be passed up to
the upper level.

All of these should be completely transparent to anyone who wishes to
see them; even to MS; OpenOffice.org with the obvious exception of inner
marketing strategies which should not be transparent except for declared
registered marketing members -- they can join if they are that
interested in inner marketing strategy. I think that most people would
think this reasonable; why would we open our strategy book to MS or
anyone else for them to copy or use against the group? Otherwise, LibO
should be recognised as "the" community office suite whose "cachet" is
openness to all.

There should always be a "call to help" a couple of weeks prior to
participating to a real project so that any person who has suddenly been
freed in time to help out, regardless of region, could drop by to help.

IMHO, organising this way will help produce more efficient result in
spreading the acceptance of LibO.

I'll put up an example on the Canadian Wiki side to show how this would
work. I'll let you know when it is complete.

Marc


--
Marc Paré
http://www.parEntreprise.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

drewjensen drewjensen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 16:24 -0400, Marc Paré wrote:

> Le 2010-10-24 15:56, Drew Jensen a écrit :
> > On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 15:27 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
> >> On Oct 22, 2010, at 7:58 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
> >>
> >> ..I live in Queens and work in Manhattan.) But if anyone else is located in NYC, let me know--we could arrange in-person meetups for hyperlocal marketing projects.
> >
> > Maybe you could try using the new LibreOffice Vols micro-blog site here.
> >
> > http://libreofficevols.status.net/
> >
> >
> > Just an idea
> >
> > Drew
> Please make sure that the meeting is logged. We need these to be more
> efficient. That's if you are meeting to organise anything, we don't
> really need to see chatter. You never know, some of us could drop in to
> help you out if we know plans in certain districts. If we are organised
> right from the start we we get better results.
>
> There should be a set hierarchy:
>
> International Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
> National Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
> State / Provincial Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
> Regional (these encompass more than one city) Marketing meetings /
> projects -- logged
> City Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
> City district Marketing meetings / projects -- logged
>

@Marc - honestly, IMO, it's a bit premature to envision that many people
- reality is going to call for a lot less formality...precisely from an
efficiency stand point. My best guess is that, if we are very
successful, there would not be enough people, actually willing to work,
for a year or more - perhaps much more. (if we are not successful [how
to define] then it won't matter anyway)

or let me do it this way - flip that over

Ben starts announcing that he would like to like to meet up with other
folks interested in LibreOffice (or Open Standards..or whatever strikes
Ben's fancy pretty much)

A coffee clutch - the key is to get together. The first thing, from what
I read, most important to the wider organizational view is a collection
of pictures (or video) of the gathering.

Informal sounds right, folks interested in LibreOffice talking about it.

Not to say that eventually there might not be some formality but even
that would be just a Impress file on a laptop perhaps.

Again I'd think that a micro-blog is just about right for the informal
coffee clutch type get together - Ben (or others in other towns) really
could just login with his twitter account, open the NYC Coffee Clutch
group and tweet out that he would like to get together with anyone
interested in LibreOffice (or whatever he likes) - with as much or as
little specificity to time/place, again, as he likes - the tweet can be
re-tweeted, the link to the group can go in emails or other tweets or
blogs..whatever, that group link is hard...any how I ramble now..but I
hope Ben was thinking informal and that he goes for it...hi @ben..

Same for others - Seattle comes to mind as a good place where there
maybe a group waiting for someone to take the first step..

Best wishes,

Drew



--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Document Foundation Mail Archives
marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

Le 2010-10-24 17:24, Drew Jensen a écrit :

> @Marc - honestly, IMO, it's a bit premature to envision that many people
> - reality is going to call for a lot less formality...precisely from an
> efficiency stand point. My best guess is that, if we are very
> successful, there would not be enough people, actually willing to work,
> for a year or more - perhaps much more. (if we are not successful [how
> to define] then it won't matter anyway)
>
> or let me do it this way - flip that over
>
> Ben starts announcing that he would like to like to meet up with other
> folks interested in LibreOffice (or Open Standards..or whatever strikes
> Ben's fancy pretty much)
>
> A coffee clutch - the key is to get together. The first thing, from what
> I read, most important to the wider organizational view is a collection
> of pictures (or video) of the gathering.
>
> Informal sounds right, folks interested in LibreOffice talking about it.
>
> Not to say that eventually there might not be some formality but even
> that would be just a Impress file on a laptop perhaps.
>
> Again I'd think that a micro-blog is just about right for the informal
> coffee clutch type get together - Ben (or others in other towns) really
> could just login with his twitter account, open the NYC Coffee Clutch
> group and tweet out that he would like to get together with anyone
> interested in LibreOffice (or whatever he likes) - with as much or as
> little specificity to time/place, again, as he likes - the tweet can be
> re-tweeted, the link to the group can go in emails or other tweets or
> blogs..whatever, that group link is hard...any how I ramble now..but I
> hope Ben was thinking informal and that he goes for it...hi @ben..
>
> Same for others - Seattle comes to mind as a good place where there
> maybe a group waiting for someone to take the first step..
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Drew
Thanks for the answer Drew.

I always think that organising is the best way to get to your result(s).

Imagine a trip where you are asked to lead a group from Paris to Des
Moines OHIO, USA for an important soccer match. Now there are different
options, you could ask everyone to plan out an itinerary of their own
without giving them any kind of outline or restrictions, then you will
have groups flying, sailing, coaching by bus, chartering
bus/plane/trains, payment for the group by credit, cash or some will pay
on their own etc ... The chances of having disruptions for this group
are most likely at it highest and the chances of group/individual
dissent are also at their highest. Criticism of individuals in these
types of groups are constant.

If you were to take a second group and provide the outline of  
requirements then you would have a more comprehensive itinerary with
fewer chances of plans being derailed due to missed details. It is
impossible to provide a bullet-proof outline, but by working within the
confines of this outline, the group will most likely arrive at Des
Moines all on time and the chances of having a content group are most
likely at its highest. Criticism is founded more on how to improve the
system and as most are content, criticism is seen more in a positive
light than negative.

If we plan on fighting the large competing project, then we should
outline big and plan big. There is still freedom from movement to any of
the structured compartments and the outline still makes allowances for
freedom of speech, participation, individuality and movement.
Micro-blogs can still be used. When organisations are built on too much
of an elastic-type of structure, then people are always confused of
issues and have to constantly restart or be re-told of past issues
because there is no proper record of it, very much like what we see in
the mailists discussions with constant repetition of issues that have
already been dealt with. There is more that often too much effort
devoted to having to deal with repeated comments of issues.

People will join if they see a good visible structured environment and
if they can see themselves fitting into  a compartment of that outline.

There is a rude saying where it is said: "If you want to pee and run
like a big dog, then you have to learn how to to pee and run like a big
dog".

Just my pitch for a more structured environment.

But we are still a community and decide as such.

Cheers

Marc

--
Marc Paré
http://www.parEntreprise.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Sadiq Saif Sadiq Saif
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introductions

In reply to this post by jonathon-2
Hello,

Sorry, it's taken so long in replying to this introduction, been busy with
school and what not.

Anyways, I am a 16 year old high school student in Toronto, Ontario. I am a
big fan of OSS software, using Linux and open source at home.

I'll be glad to offer any help I can possibly can (not much considering this
is my final year in HS).

Regards,
Sadiq S
mailto: [hidden email]
Blog: www.staticsafe.me
Twitter - www.twitter.com/staticsafe
Facebook- www.facebook.com/static.safe

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://us.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted